Sunday, June 9, 2013

My aha moment...


While in the deep woods of western Kentucky….surrounded by nature, water, and bugs, and lack of technology I had lots of time to reflect on my past, present, and future. IT was kind of nice to escape from the world of modern technology, but after a few days, I couldn’t handle it any more.

Camp had its ups and downs. I had some moments when I thought, “Why am I going to put myself through this?” “How am I going to afford this?” “Am I good enough?” But with some of the sessions, I realized that I am not alone in my thoughts. McNair has given me a sense of security and comfort. I have a support system and each person is going through similar things, and it helps put me at ease to know that people will be there when I need them, as I will be there for them.

I have decent grades. They are not great, but they are not terrible by any means. One of my biggest worries is that. But in Maureen’s session she showed many scholars who had less than stellar gpas that still made it into grad school and even got fully funded. It helped me be a little more comfortable with the facts. I am still going to be trying my best to finish off strong.

Another thing I learned was that a test, such as the GRE, does not define you and cannot clearly measure you ability to succeed in grad school and in your future. I have never been good at standardized tests, and that is one of my biggest fears, because for medical school I need the MCAT, and I need to get decent scores. But at the same time, I know that I cannot let this test define me and take over.

Have some time to think about my future, I realized that this is what I want to do. I will get my MD, but whether I get my PhD, I have not figured that out. There are just so many options I can pursue. I do however know I will continue my education and I will do whatever fascinates me.

For my aha moment, I came to the realization that I am special, I am me. I have come farther in my short time on earth, and anyone in my family, and I will continue to path the way into the unknown. My family may never understand completely what I am doing and why, but I know that they will support me regardless. I am, but then I am not alone in this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment