Thursday, September 5, 2013

Summertime Sadness


Many say summer is over.

 

Well, not quite. I have to say this is the saddest part of the summer, the end. We still about 2 weeks left of summer; school is in session and we no longer that the freedom that comes with the summer. We become more restricted to schedules because of meetings, events, and classes.

 

In retrospect, this was by far my most memorable and amazing summer that I have had, at least since the carefree days of my childhood. I tried many new things and I have been to new places and been on some crazy adventures, most of all I have met some wonderful and memorable people. There are just some many things that I do not know if I would be able to mention everything.

 

This summer I participated in the McNair Scholars Program at Central Michigan University, and it was hard, time consuming, made me doubt myself (intellectually and physically). But it was so worth it. It has been amazing. I pushed myself passed my boundaries. This experience has showed me the value of managing time better. At the beginning of the summer I attended a boot camp in Kentucky and that was a long week, but it was packed full of valuable information, southern food, and lots of laughter, but most of all adventures. Of course while we were there we had to try some “real” BBQ.

 
 

I was sure that I wanted to pursue an MD/PhD at the beginning of the summer, but through searching schools and working with patients, I have realized that the patient care is my primary interest. Don’t get me wrong, I love the research to, but I think that at this moment, I just was to do the MD or the DO t start, and if I decide later on I will pursue the PhD.

 

Throughout the summer, between working and research, I worked out with my McNair “peeps” at Seung-Ni and also did yoga. There were some sessions at Seung-Ni were I felt the burn, and really made me want to quit, but with the encouragement, I was about to continue. And in yoga, I have really increased my flexibility and can do some poses that I was not able to do before. Also yoga has changed my ability to relax and calm, which has become useful, especially on stressful days. All in preparation for the Color Run, this lives up to its motto, The Happiest 5K on Planet Earth. I have run dozens, if not hundreds of races, and that by far was the best. There is something refreshing about not trying to compete or a time and just having fun.

 


Other new things I tried was kayaking, which is fun, but I found that near the end of the trip, I got to the point; I just wanted to be done. But I also tried tubing, “college-style,” apparently. But it was fun, but to an extent, a 3 hour trip turned into a 5 hour trip, and being the only sober one has some limitations. But I was able to hang out with my friends whom I have not hung out with in a while, because we all always busy.


 

This summer I also worked at the hospital and the med school. Not only did I learn more about healthcare and medicine, the nurses have taught me a lot about life. They are always willing to give advice. They are also not afraid to share. They have taught me a lot about things I need to keep in mind when I become a doctor; be nice to the nurses, listen, be caring and personable, and be able and willing to explain why.

 

This was a summer for the record books. It was mainly about getting done to business, but I still managed to have some fun and try new things. The summer was amazing and memorable, but now that is t nearing the end, it is sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment