Sunday, May 19, 2013

To my fellow scholars:


It may seem to some that I have everything figured out, but in actuality I am more confused than ever. But I have faith that everything will work out the way it is suppose to. McNair is both help me understand where I want to go, but also making me see all these other opportunities that I can take, and it can be a little overwhelming at times.

I will be honest; at the beginning of this journey I was very skeptical. I did not know what to expect and I had my doubts. I am pleasantly surprised. I have gotten to know many great people who all have similar backgrounds as me. Because we each share similar backgrounds we have formed a support system in which each of can help lift each other up to prosper and accomplish great things.  

We are just beginning the Summer Research Institute, the meat of the program, and it is going to be a long rough road ahead, but I know I have a great support system, my fellow scholars. My family doesn’t really understand what I am doing and why, but I know that my fellow scholars will be there to help guide me, just as I will be there for them.

So far we are one week into the SRI, and it has been challenging but rewarding to say the least. I was challenged when doing the high ropes course and the horseback riding. I was also very challenge with the meditation and trying to turn my thoughts off, as well as the personal training. The personal training kicked my butt, I struggled, but with the encouragement from others I was able to finish.

This summer I want to be more balanced. How I will do this is through maintaining a healthy diet, yoga, meditation, other forms of exercise as outlets to remain balanced. When times get tough I have a great support system who will help me move on. With that being said, I am so excited for this summer. I cannot wait to see what it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment